This is the first edition of the KHSAA Boys Baskteball Regional Power Rankings where we will take a look at the strongest regions in the state.
I am using the MaxPreps.com rankings as they rank every team in the state of Kentucky.
1. Region 11- The top region in the entire state has 7 teams in the top 25, with 2 in the top 5. The average ranking for those 7 teams is 12.8. Madison Central, Henry Clay, Scott County, and Dunbar highlight this strong region. Any team could win this region and this is the last team another region wants to draw in the Sweet 16.
2. Region 7: This Louisville region has the most teams in the top 100 with 12. It also contains 6 teams in the top 50, 5 in the top 25, and 2 in the top 5. Ballard, Trinity, Central, and St. X highlight another draw no one wants in 1st round.
3. Region 9: The only undefeated team left in the state resides in this northern Kentucky region. The Holmes Bulldogs are 18-0, but this isn't the only team that could make some noise in the regional tournament. 10 teams are ranked in the top 100, with 5 of those in the top 50, and 3 ranked in the top 25. Besides the Bulldogs, Covington Cathilic, Newport Central Catholic, and Cooper all have great chances of making the trip to Rupp.
4. Region 6: The #1 team in the state by MaxPreps.com, and me for that matter, is Bullitt East and they are tops in the other Louisville region. There are 9 teams in the top 100, 7 in the top 50, and 4 in the top 25. The Chargers will battle with PRP, Moore, Doss, and Fairdale for the regional crown.
5. Region 8: Collins leads the region in the rankings, but there are 10 other teams with records over .500. Region 8 consists of 8 teams in the top 100, 4 in the top 50, and 1 in the top 25. This is a very competitive region and will be hard to call once the very competitive bracket will be drawn up.
Here are the rest of the rankings:
6.Region 12: 9 in top 100, 4 in top 50, 1 in top 25
7.Region 5: 6 in top 100, 3 in top 50, 1 in top 25
8.Region 14: 3 in top 100, 3 in top 50, 1 in top 25
9.Region 2: 3 in top 100, 2 in top 50, 2 in top 25
10.Region 4: 10 in top 100, 3 in top 50
11.Region 10: 6 in top 100, 2 in top 50
12.Region 16: 3 in top 100, 2 in top 50
13.Region 13: 5 in top 100, 1 in top 50
14.Region 3: 2 in top 100, 1 in top 50
15.Region 1: 3 in top 100
16.Region 15: 1 in top 100
Some interesting stats compiled from the MaxPreps.com rankings:
- 84 of the top 100 ranked teams will not make it to Rupp Arena
- 36 of the top 50 ranked teams will not make it to Rupp Arena
- 16 of the top 25 ranked teams will not make it to Rupp Arena
- 5 of the top 10 ranked teams will not make it to Rupp Arena
- 2 of the top 5 ranked teams will not make it to Rupp Arena
There are so many ranked teams in the same region that anyone of the teams that complete The Road to Rupp could get hot at the right time and win a Sweet 16 title.
It is going to be fun!!